The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable
- Publish Date: 2011-05-19
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Stephen D. Phinney;Jeff S. Volek
Carbohydrate restricted diets are commonly practiced but seldom taught. As a result, doctors, dietitians, nutritionists, and nurses may have strong opinions about low carbohydrate dieting, but in many if not most cases, these views are not grounded in science.Â
- Carbohydrate restriction is the proverbial 'silver bullet' for managing insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes.Â
- Restricting carbohydrate improves blood glucose and lipids while reducing inflammation, all without drugs.Â
- Dietary saturated fat is not a demon when you are low carb adapted.
- Dietary sugars and refined starches are not needed to feed your brain or fuel exercise.Â
- Long-term success involves much more than simply cutting out carbs.Â
- Electrolyte and mineral management are key to avoiding side effects and ensuring success.
- Trading up from sugars and starches to a cornucopia of nutrient-rich, satisfying, and healthy foods is empowering.Â
- Studying hunter-gathers' diets provides clues to how best formulate a low carbohydrate diet.Â