Bud, Not Buddy
- Publish Date: 2004-09-14
- Binding: Mass Market Paperback
- Author: Christopher Paul Curtis
The Newbery Medal and Coretta Scott King Award-winning classic about a boy who decides to hit the road to find his fatherâfrom Christopher Paul Curtis, author of The Watsons Go To Birminghamâ1963, a Newbery and Coretta Scott King Honoree.
Itâs 1936, in Flint Michigan. Times may be hard, and ten-year-old Bud may be a motherless boy on the run, but Budâs got a few things going for him:
1. He has his own suitcase full of special things.
2. Heâs the author of Bud Caldwellâs Rules and Things for Having a Funner Life and Making a Better Liar Out of Yourself.
3. His momma never told him who his father was, but she left a clue: flyers advertising Herman E. Calloway and his famous band, the Dusky Devastators of the Depression!!!!!!
Budâs got an idea that those flyers will lead him to his father. Once he decides to hit the road to find this mystery man, nothing can stop himânot hunger, not fear, not vampires, not even Herman E. Calloway himself.
AN ALA BEST BOOK FOR YOUNG ADULTS
AN ALA NOTABLE CHILDREN'S BOOK
AN IRA CHILDREN'S BOOK AWARD WINNER
NAMED TO 14 STATE AWARD LISTS
âThe book is a gem, of value to all ages, not just the young people to whom it is aimed.â âThe Christian Science Monitor
âWill keep readers engrossed from first page to last.â âPublishers Weekly, Starred
âCurtis writes with a razor-sharp intelligence that grabs the reader by the heart and never lets go. . . . This highly recommended title [is] at the top of the list of books to be read again and again.â âVoice of Youth Advocates, Starred
From the Trade Paperback edition.