Notice & Note: Strategies for Close Reading
- Publish Date: 2012-11-01
- Binding: Paperback
- Author: Kylene Beers;Robert E Probst
For all things Notice & Note, visit Heinemann.com/NoticeAndNote. You'll find blog posts, videos of Kylene and Bob, community features, and more.
Also available: Notice & Note/Reading Nonfiction Signpost Student Bookmarks
Watch Kylene and Bob's webinar on Notice & Note (approx. 30 minutes)
Just as rigor does not reside in the barbell but in the act of lifting it, rigor in reading is not an attribute of a text but rather of a reader's behavior-engaged, observant, responsive, questioning, analytical. The close reading strategies in Notice and Note will help you cultivate those critical reading habits that will make your students more attentive, thoughtful, independent readers.
-Kylene Beers and Robert E. Probst
In Notice and Note Kylene Beers and Bob Probst introduce 6 signposts that alert readers to significant moments in a work of literature and encourage students to read closely. Learning first to spot these signposts and then to question them, enables readers to explore the text, any text, finding evidence to support their interpretations. In short, these close reading strategies will help your students to notice and note.
In this timely and practical guide Kylene and Bob:
- examine the new emphasis on text-dependent questions, rigor, text complexity, and what it means to be literate in the 21st century
- identify 6 signposts that help readers understand and respond to character development, conflict, point of view, and theme
- provide 6 text-dependent anchor questions that help readers take note and read more closely
- offer 6 Notice and Note model lessons, including text selections and teaching tools, that help you introduce each signpost to your students.
Notice and Note will help create attentive readers who look closely at a text, interpret it responsibly, and reflect on what it means in their lives. It should help them become the responsive, rigorous, independent readers we not only want students to be but know our democracy demands.
A new Notice and Note Literature Log offers students practice finding the signposts-with over-the-shoulder coaching from Kylene and Bob. Save with 5-packs.