How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend: The Classic Training Manual for Dog Owners (Revised & Updated Edition)
- Publish Date: 2002-09-13
- Binding: Hardcover
- Author: Monks of New Skete
For more than a quarter century, How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend has been the standard against which all other dog-training books have been measured. This expanded edition preserves the best features of the original classic while bringing the book fully up-to-date. The result: the ultimate training manual for a new generation of dog owners--and, of course, for their canine best friends.
The Monks of New Skete have achieved international renown as breeders of German shepherds and as outstanding trainers of dogs of all breeds. Their unique approach to canine training, developed and refined over four decades, is based on the philosophy that understanding is the key to communication, compassion, and communion with your dog.
How to Be Your Dog's Best Friend covers virtually every aspect of living with and caring for your dog, including:
- Selecting a dog (what breed? male? female? puppy or older dog?) to fit your lifestyle
- Where to get--and where not to get--a dog
- Reading a pedigree
- Training your dog or puppy--when, where, and how
- The proper use of praise and discipline
- Feeding, grooming, and ensuring your dog's physical fitness
- Recognizing and correcting canine behavioral problems
- The particular challenges of raising a dog where you live - in the city, country, or suburb
- The proper techniques for complete care of your pet at every stage of his or her life